Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Music For The Ages



By Steven Mattingly

In our community, we regularly have a gentleman who sings the standards of the heyday of most of our residents accompanied by a karaoke machine.  My office is in a space adjoining our main floor living room and whenever he performs I have to close my door as his performance grates on my ears.  For the most part I am not able to carry a tune but with guidance from my wife who sings in two choral groups I have learned what a well-trained voice can do.  This particular performer sings up to the notes most often but I have to say his performances are always well attended and he just exudes charm.  He’s a big hit with the ladies; he uses his vocal stylings to shamelessly flirt in the innocent way of the 1950’s.

There has been an array of articles in recent weeks about the benefits of music for seniors and in particular those with more advanced dementia. I’ve seen firsthand the benefits that music therapy can provide to individuals with more advanced dementia.  It goes beyond the calming effect that everyone assumes will happen, in the right setting with the right music choice and the right encouragement.  I’ve seen even the most withdrawn residents exhibit what I can only describe as the greatest of human emotion - a simple smile.  Increasingly the many experts in dementia research are telling us that even though we are unable to discern a visible or verbal response, studies of brain waves before during and after musical programming clearly indicate the resident is processing the information.  They have compared that response against voices of loved ones, normal sounds of daily life, and even sounds from a favorite pet and the studies consistently show that the greatest response is to music.  An interesting facet is that it's music overall, not to a specific genre.  Does that translate to suggesting that you play Led Zeppelin when you visit mom or grandmom?  That I think is more of a personal choice but hearing some old fashion rock and roll or some twangy country music would be interesting and perhaps more appropriate for some of our residents.  Not everyone loves Glenn Miller or Tommy James.  My mother was a big Elvis fan. 

In our community when I come in first thing in the morning I put on my favorite classical station to get us off to what I see as a gentle and easy start in the morning.  About mid-morning we change to a Singers and Swing station that plays songs that many of our residents listened to when they were growing up or dating that is more up tempo.  Can you imagine in a few years when assisted living communities program the songs that the next generation grew up listening to or when they were dating.  Are we ready for “Let’s Get Physical” by Olivia Newton-John, or “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen?  Can you picture a spandex clad, baggy sweatshirt and leg warmer wearing  70+ year old demanding more Disco music at 7:00 a.m.  Or does the image of an 80 year old tattoo covered deadhead make you sit upright?
What do you listen to on a regular basis?  Can you imagine the faces of your children when you are in your 80’s and they chide you for still listening to Phil Collins or even worse Donny and Marie?


Contributing Blog Author Steven Mattingly is the Executive Director of Pacifica Senior Living in San Leandro, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment