Total Pageviews

Monday, September 17, 2012

The Value of Saying Thank you!



By Steven Mattingly 

This past week, September 9-15 was a special one in the world of Assisted Living Communities. It was National Assisted Living Week.  Our community used a large poster to say thank you to our staff and encouraged staff members, residents, and family members to personalize it with notes and encouraging words.  It was great to see as the week went along the growing and glowing tributes that appeared.  We also used this week to honor two members of our staff for their “above the call of duty” care giving skills.  They were honored at a Happy Hour event in which all members of the community participated.   I felt that we had hit a home run in the thank you game for the week.

It was with a concerned ear this past week that I listened to one of our healthcare vendors tell our concierge how glad they were to see our poster since in their visits to most assisted living clients they serve, they saw nothing in observance of National Assisted Living Week.  I made a point of seeking out that vendor during their visit and ask them if that remark was really accurate.  Sadly they said yes.  We commiserated about what the caregivers in locations where there was no observance might feel.  The buzz words of under-appreciated, un-feeling, and we need to do more were tossed about and we both felt better afterwards or was it perhaps our smugness showing.

This incident in so many ways forced me to reflect on how I as a manager perceived my staff.  Were they worthy of some special acknowledgement during National Assisted Living Week; absolutely.  But are they also worth my time and energy to say thank you each and every day; again the answer should be absolutely.  Do I say thank you each and every day?  I have to admit to my shortcomings and say no I don’t.  I mean to, I really do!  But then that report comes due, I get a call from my boss, a family member needs answers, a resident walks into my office with concerns, etc.  I think you get the picture.  Like everyone else I have constant distractions from my good intentions.  To quote my now infamous mother “the road to hell is paved with good intentions”. 

Lots of business schools graduates and experts have spent lots of time coming to the conclusion that the one thing managers can do that motivates employees the most is show real and genuine appreciation.  Public appreciation like the poster we used, the recognition in front of the community for some, and happy hour for all certainly were signals and signs of appreciation.  But those same experts have told us that quiet moments and simple words of appreciation have an even greater effect.  In my upbringing we were reminded regularly to say our please and thanks yous.  I can remember all too well my parents at the dinner table not serving us food until we used the “magic” word please and we often heard the phrase did you forget something when we didn’t say thank you.  Now I understand and appreciate those gentle and even not so gentle urgings of my parents all the more when I think about saying thank you and asking staff members in an appropriate way to work harder and do more.  The phrase “how much more our parents know as we get older” keeps coming to mind.

There has been a general (do I dare used the in-the-news-word) bounce in good feelings around and about the community following last week.  I hope our tracking polls show it as more than a bounce and something that we can continue to build.  I hope that my good intentions don’t send me to hell but I do have a plan to say thank you more to our care giving team in some way every day I am in the community.  Little did I know that my parents were as smart as or perhaps even smarter than the business school crowd when they taught us good manners?


Contributing author Steven Mattingly is the Executive Director of Pacifica Senior Living in San Leandro, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment