Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I Now Understand.....

From Lucy Woolsey Pacifica Senior Living VP of Sales and Marketing)


Being in the senior housing industry for the past twenty years and leasing to seniors, makes me an expert in finding the right place for loved ones, right?  So I thought, until the roles changed and I now became my Aunt’s guardian (and I mean guardian). I can honestly declare that I now know the trials and tribulations that family members go through when placing a loved one.

My widowed, and childless Aunt, lived in Mississippi most of her 41 years of marriage.  After my uncle passed, I would routinely hear from her neighbors that she would “911” herself.  At the hospital, they would never really find anything wrong, but was always dehydrated.

Fast forward a few years, I convinced my Aunt to move to California so I could be closer to her and help her.  Mind you, I have two other sisters that could be helping out but all of a sudden they are missing in action and here I sat trying to get everything in place from scheduling movers, selling her car, and then struggling with the mounds of paperwork needed in order for her to move-in to the community.  

Her first community was an independent building where she lived for 2 years.  She was pretty much doing her own thing…but then the “911” calls started again.  I then convinced her to move into an assistedliving community where there are nurses and staff available 24-7 to assist her when needed.  Once again, my husband and I packed her one bedroom apartment, which felt like it was a 3 bedroom home.  The never ending clothes war, and all of the keepsakes whether it was a token from a restaurant or it was found, she was not parting ways with it.

Moving forward once again…Today, she lives at Pacifica SeniorLiving Chino Hills where will be reaching her one year anniversary (wow that’s a milestone!)  My Aunt is happy, has a roommate by the name of “Rosie” (it’s a little dog), has lots of friends, spends time painting, and is being taken care of by a wonderful staff.  The hospitality and genuine care is so visible.  I now have peace of mind and no hospital runs.  Now if I could just get her to quit buying from QVC.  

No comments:

Post a Comment